#1 Scott R

Scott R
  • Admin
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Web design
    Music (Classical, Pop, Easy Listening)
    Bible Studies; Progressive Christianity

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

Issue: We move that we publish WSO by-laws. Inter Groups could use them as a model.

History/Reasoning:
We have no access to WSO by-laws.

Argument in Favor:
Inter Groups need a model for their by-laws to revise or create any by-laws needed.

Submitted from meeting IL005 (Hinsdale, IL).
ACA WSO Forum Administrator

#2 idigress

idigress
  • Members
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Spirituality, philosophy, science, the arts, nature & healing, healing, healing.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

This seems like a good idea.

J.
"The secret of contentment is the realization that life is a gift, not a right." -Unknown

#3 Sparky

Sparky
  • Banned
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Member has been banned from the forum by the WSO Executive Committee<br /><br />

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:13 AM

Great ideal,

How are the Bylaws and the current OPPM available to it's members now?

Will there have to be a motion made to have this information available on the website again?

As a member of the new phone bridge intergroup I can use all the proper procedure information I can get. There are others interested in this information too. But...

The Bylaws and the OPPM have been removed off the ACA website. :(

After recently discussing this with a current ACA WSO board member the board member was not aware the Bylaw and OPPM information was no longer available on the ACA WSO website.

I know this motion was already voted on in the past but I thought the discussion of "availability" would benefit myself and lots of other ACA members if the discussion continued.

ARTICLE ELEVEN (XI) ACCEPTANCE/AMENDMENT OF THE BYLAWS
4. A copy of these Bylaws shall be made available to its members in accordance with the OPPM.

Knowing the importance of service work in ACA recovery and as part of my personal recovery I want to learn about proper procedures and policies ect...

The ACA WSO website would be serving it's ACA members and would be keeping in line with the Bylaws by making this information available once again here on the ACA website and would also be staying within the current OPPM:

ACA WSO WEBSITE POLICY: (The reason this ACA website was created for)

"Providing Information to it's member."

It appears to me this important information is "not" available to it's members, or at least not on the website, nor readily available.

Also in regards to availability, according to the OPPM the ACA WSO business teleconfernce information is to be available to it's members.

I can no longer find that information either. :(

Thanks for the invited discussion concerning the ACA WSO Bylaws "availabilty".

I can't/We can
Sparky

Edited by Sparky, 18 September 2008 - 04:36 AM.

#4 Sparky

Sparky
  • Banned
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Member has been banned from the forum by the WSO Executive Committee<br /><br />

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

Issue: We move that we publish WSO by-laws. Inter Groups could use them as a model.

History/Reasoning:
We have no access to WSO by-laws.

Argument in Favor:
Inter Groups need a model for their by-laws to revise or create any by-laws needed.

Submitted from meeting IL005 (Hinsdale, IL).

According to the minutes of the last ABC the discussion on this motion was :

Discussion based around need to contact meeting who submitted this motion to let them know

WHERE TO FIND THE BY-LAWS ON THE WEBSITE.

Mail a copy of the by-Laws to this group.

Which sounded simple enough but the ACA WSO website no longer has them posted.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon. I find understanding more about service and the procedures is helping my personal recovery alot.

Quite like the Twelve Steps, Twelve Traditions and The Twelve Concepts these By-Laws and the OPPM are boundaries in writing.

The ACA way is teaching me alot. :D

I can't/We can
Sparky

Edited by Sparky, 19 September 2008 - 07:13 AM.

#5 75Janice

75Janice
  • Members
  • 2,650 posts
  • Interests:I am re-entering the world after a serious chronic illness. ACA is important to me. My hobbies are almost all academic. I am an original Beatles fan, a member of their fan club. in the sixties. Rock music is important in my life. Law and politics are my avocation.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

The ACA by-laws were available to all visitors to this site. Someone removed them. Although they were available for as long as I have posted here, I never had a reason to access them. Therefore, I don't know the content. But if experience is any guide, by-laws are excessively boring but important rules. I am curious as to why the Board of Trustees is hesitant to publish them in its entirety. Is some by-law disruptive or salacious? I don't know. The Board knows. If some by-law(s) is so outrageous that it can't be posted to an entire fellowship, publish the rest now and discuss the scary one. My deep heartfelt feeling is that every member has an equal right to information. Some Board discussions must be confidential. The by-laws are not confidential. To me, it is hubris for anyone to think they can have access to special information that regular members do not possess.

It is also my experience in this program so far that when I finally ask a Board member the reason for something that appears intriguing, the real reason is valid. The secrecy, though, raises concern. For instance, despite entreaties I never received an explanation for why Tony A's steps were not used by ACA. Omer, the chair, explained to me the timeline involved. He explained that the modified AA steps were in wide usage by ACA and had become custom before Tony A. published his steps. He was deceased so his daughter decided that ACA should just keep the original custom. This is such a valid and sound explanation. Mailing a copy to one meeting raises the appearance of ACA's Board trying to hide something. It may not be an impropriety. I'm sure it isn't. Nevertheless, the appearance of impropriety should be avoided. Not publishing the by-laws makes me wonder what secret machinations may be occurring. I want to be reassured that a credible and rational explanation for not publishing the by-laws exist.

I am not a child in chronological years. I am an adult child and the adult me can take the by-laws. ACA is not a mystery religion where special knowledge is held by a few. My Higher Power leads me to believe that the Board will publish the by-laws, I pray that this is just another case of miscommunication.

Janice

#6 Scott R

Scott R
  • Admin
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Web design
    Music (Classical, Pop, Easy Listening)
    Bible Studies; Progressive Christianity

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

The OPPM provides guidance to the WSO Board and committees relative to their functions only. However at the request of the WSO Board, the OPPM is now available for review by those interested. Go to http://www.acawso.or...p?showforum=114 to view them.

Scott R
Forum Administrator
ACA WSO Forum Administrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users