Photo

Is There Guidance For How To Run A Workbook Group?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taddy

taddy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi everyone,

We started a workbook study group - there are four of us and we are struggling. Is there any guide available on the "How To"?

We worked really hard to organize this and would hate to see it fall apart.

What we are doing is we read a question and then each of us in turn reads our answer. It is just not flowing well at all. There are no sponsors available here that we can find to help us.

One of our group seems to be in constant emotional crisis in her present relationship and that is dominating the group discussion. What I notice is that the rest of us are not getting our needs met and not opening up. I believe that we are being typically co-dependent. How the heck are four adult children supposed to recover without guidance?

Sounds like "How many adult children does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" Even though it sounds funny we really do need help. Asking for help is okay right? Any suggestions? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 edgewater

edgewater
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi, We also started a 12 step workbook study and we met for the second time yesterday. So far so good. It is not as structured as our regular discussion meeting with all the readings and 'please limit your share." Perhaps you might suggest that their is a time constraint and it is important that everyone have an opportunity to share. We had someone yesterday that took quite a bit of time but she needed to get it out. We all listened intently. I think that is important too. However, I don't think it would be in the groups best interest if someone consistently dominated the time with their share. I'm new to this too. Perhaps someone else will be offering suggestions that will help us. Isn't it wonderful to be in recovery?

#3 Clark L

Clark L
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:I've humbly asked the Universe to remove my shortcommings.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

I think structure is what is best for any meeting. I would have a plan in place before the meeting, and give guidelines in advance of any discussion... e.g., "Today's topic is XXX. We will be reading from Chapter xx, on pages xxx-xxx of the BRB. Please limit discussion to the readings and topic. If we have time at the end, we can open it up for general discussion or sharing..." or something generic to that effect. If that doesn't work, then one on one discussion with the individual may be in order. Everyone is there for their own healing and that should be emphasized.

Just my .02 :)

Clark
"Spirit needs matter to become substantial; matter needs spirit to become meaningful." -UNKNOWN

#4 taddy

taddy
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Thank you Edgewater and Clark for the feedback. Is there more? :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users